Quick Links

SOCS Client

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Finding the Right Fit

....The campus visit

Selecting the best school for you is as individual as finding a good fitting shoe.  You have to try it on, walk around, and feel like you’re getting a good value.

How can you do that with a college?  Visit the campus, talk to students and staff, and then compare schools. One college will usually stand out, and you’ll begin to compare all other schools to it.

Visit your top three or four colleges while school is in session.   You won’t get the true flavor of the school during summer, school breaks or finals week. Students and professors either won’t be around or just too busy to talk to you.

Contact the admissions office at least two weeks before your visit to schedule a tour and overnight stay if possible.  Ask for appointments with an admissions representative and financial aid counselor.

Discuss your past achievements and future expectations when you meet with an admissions representative. Learn all you can about the college - interview them while they interview you.  Your job is to find a college with a thriving academic and social environment; theirs is to find qualified candidates.  Don’t leave without asking about academic scholarships.

Use EducationQuest’s College Funding Estimator to estimate your financial aid eligibility at www.educationquest.orgDiscuss the results with the financial aid counselor for an idea of how the college may help offset tuition costs.  Ask about need-based scholarship applications and deadlines.

While on campus, attend a freshman level class to determine how challenging the school will be.  Notice how students interact with the professor, and how the class is structured.  You may prefer a large college with lecture style classes, or a small setting with more one-on-one contact.  Talk to the professor after class and ask what to expect academically from the college.

Request a guided tour with a current student. Ask about social activities and the academic environment.  Find out what current students are passionate about and what they complain about.  Are some classes impossible to get into?  Are some professors extremely difficult? Ask about the Greek system, the athletic scene, and other social options.  Find out the best place to study and how to meet other students on campus.

If possible, stay overnight in the residence hall and eat the cafeteria food. Discover the personality of each hall so you can request one that suits you. Ask yourself if you can spend the next four years of your life at that school. 

As you prepare to leave, take another walk around campus.  Pick up the school newspaper and notice the posters on campus.  Take notes of your trip and compare it to your other top schools.  You’re sure to find a “good fit” if you do your homework first.